|Kampong Kapor Methodist Church, Little India, Singapore|
By the late 1920s, the church had outgrown, imposing a need to shift to a fresh location. Land was bought at Kampong Kapor Road and the new church building was built there. The building was completed in 1930 in the Art Deco Style and was named the Straits Chinese Methodist Church (Bickley Memorial), reflect to be a sign of the mostly Chinese membership of the church as well as its Peranakan characteristic, and also to recognize the fact that funds for its construction amounting to $50,000 came from the family and friends of Bishop Bickley. In 1957, the church was renamed Kampong Kapor Methodist Church.
Today Kampong Kapor Methodist Church has a membership of a thousand in its congregation, divided into six services, three in English, one in Peranakan, one in Mandarin and one in Tamil.
|Interior - The Kampong Kapor Methodist Church, Singapore|
- 1890 : Sophia Blackmore begins Malay-language Sunday worship services.
- 1894 : The Malay Church was inaugurated at Middle Road.
- 1930 : New church building at Kampong Kapor is officially dedicated.
- 1937 : Traditional pipe organ is installed in the church.
- 1957 : Name of church changed to Kampong Kapor Methodist Church (Bishop Bickley Memorial).
- 1989 : The Urban Redevelopment Authority awards the church conservation status.
- 2000 : Former church building at Middle Road, now Sculpture Square, is declared a historic site by the National Heritage Board.
- 8.00 am Traditional worship service with hymns sung accompanied by the pipe organ.
- 9.30 am This traditional worship service is enhanced by a choir
- 11.30 am Contemporary worship songs led by a music band.
- 11.00 am Held in the Chapel on Level 3 for Peranakan and Bahasa Indonesia speakers.
- 2.00 pm The Mandarin congregation is multi-generational and its members often continue to fellowship over refreshments together after service.
- 5.30 pm Our Tamil congregation serves both residents and the migrant workers.
- Know your neighbour (fijitimes.com)